Low self-esteem can cause a vicious cycle that makes you feel worse and worse. Feeling badly about yourself can lead you to feel unmotivated to change what is making you feel down in the first place. If you don’t change the root cause of your negative feelings, then your self-esteem takes an even deeper dive.
This cycle of negativity can be damaging, but there are things that you can do to break the cycle.
Try these techniques to give your self-esteem a boost:
1. Learn and master a new skill. When you develop a unique talent and become good at it, your confidence will no doubt grow. And, that’s especially true if the skill benefits something you already do.
2. Make a list of all your accomplishments. It can be easy to forget all the things you’ve achieved in your lifetime. So, it’s a good idea to make a list of these accomplishments, and from time to time, read the list to remind yourself of them. The end result is, you’ll feel much better about yourself.
3. Do something creative. Being creative helps stimulate your brain, and the more you use your brain the bigger the benefits. When you combine creativity with trying something new, the payback is even more significant. And the boost to your self-esteem follows.
4. Tap into your core values. What are your values? Does your current lifestyle reflect these values? If it doesn’t, take action to make the necessary changes. Because learning who you are, what is most important to you, and what you believe in, and then living by these values will increase your confidence and make decisions a no-brainer.
5. Turn your stinkin’ thinkin’ around. Instead of thinking negatively when faced with a difficult task, think about it as a challenge that you can overcome. Think positively, consider what you can learn from the experience, and be proud of yourself once you’ve accomplished it. Now, watch your self-esteem skyrocket.
6. Stretch your comfort zone. Try new things. Go to new places. Meet new people. As a result, you’ll see your confidence grow.
7. Help someone. When you help someone else, you’ll feel a sense of achievement and enjoy higher self-esteem.
8. Try to heal your past. Past issues or trauma can keep you stuck, preventing you from moving on and hindering your growth. You may want to speak to a trained counselor, therapist, or coach to talk it through and learn how to heal the wounds so that you can move beyond the past trauma. Your self-esteem can take a big hit when you ruminate on the past.
9. Stop worrying about what others think. What you believe is what matters most! This advice might help: do your best, seek to achieve excellence, not perfection. And make decisions based on the information you have at hand. Then, do what you feel is right, and your self-esteem will soar.
10. Read something inspirational. Stories of others who have overcome challenges or dire situations and have gone on to lead successful lives can inspire you to do the same. Self-help content can inspire you to reach for the stars and help you get there. When you feel inspired, you feel optimistic and better about yourself.
11. Stay away from negative people. There will be people in your life who always seem to put you down and leave you feeling bad about yourself. It may be best to distance yourself or let them go entirely. Instead, surround yourself with positive people who lift you up and make you feel good about yourself.
12. Take care of yourself. When you look your best and feel your best, you show up at your best! Self-care is not optional if you want to step out in confidence.
13. Focus on what you can change. Some things in life are outside of your control. Focus your energy on what you can control, and you’ll happily find that things will shift. Concentrate on making those changes matter, and you will matter. That naturally leads to healthy self-esteem and natural confidence.
Once you start to incorporate some of these tips into your daily life, your self-esteem will begin to grow. It may not happen overnight, but with time you will undoubtedly see an improvement.
If you struggle with low self-esteem or lack of confidence, it might be that you’re stuck in a time of significant change. It might feel impossible to move forward, and making choices can be challenging. This book will help. Take the first step, explore how change can impact you, and learn how to move through it with more ease, dignity, and grace. Download your free book here and Get Unstuck! 5 Steps to Adapt to Change & Move Through Transition.
Very beautifully written and helpful to many. Maria, many thanks for the wonderful work that you do. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your kind comment, Vena. I appreciate you taking the time to share it with me!
This is an amazing list and one to reflect upon periodically, Maria. Thank you for sharing!
I’m so happy the list resonates with you, Lindy. It’s a great idea to reflect on it once in a while, too. Thank you for taking the time to share your comment.